My stout little German-Irish grandma (1910 – 2000) was diagnosed with breast cancer in the 1990s. Until then, I knew very little about the disease. But when someone you love suffers… well, it becomes intensely personal. In fact, it influenced my writing career.
EXCELLENCE IN CANCER JOURNALISM
I wrote Pink Divas, a cover feature about breast cancer survival and support, eight years after my grandmother’s death. Little did I know that the following year it would receive an Excellence in Cancer Journalism Award. This media award is given to radio, television, newspaper and magazine journalists, and I was honored to be one of only 16 recognized by the American Cancer Society throughout Hawaii, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas.
CAREER IN MEDIA
I’ve written several hundred articles for magazines and newspapers in Texas and around the nation. If I had to choose, my favorite assignment was visiting the cowboy churches of Texas and writing about the adventures. That article, entitled “God’s Country,” was published in the national magazine American Cowboy.
I accept assignments from various publications, but also pitch stories of interest to publishers. I edit books and tackle other types of projects on behalf of clients, including web content, search engine optimization, social media, blogging (especially business, legal and medical), newsletters, press releases and speeches. I love writing bios, mission/vision statements, jingles and taglines.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Magazine writing, editorial, community and celebrity articles
- Book editing and ghost writing
- Media relations including print, online, radio and television
- Political speech writing, commentary, punditry (often ghost writing for campaigns)
- SEO strategies, online marketing, social media
- Publicity, marketing, promotion
JOBS IN THE FIELD
- Ghost writer for authors — most genres
- Contributing editor and writer for the following publications:
Houston Modern Luxury, Hot Springs Life and Home, Houston Lifestyles & Homes Magazine, Fort Bend Lifestyles & Homes Magazine, Cy-Fair Lifestyles & Homes Magazine, The Woodlands Lifestyles & Homes Magazine, Katy Lifestyles & Homes Magazine, Katy Christian Magazine, Fort Bend Christian Magazine, Positive Impact Magazine, Katy Magazine, absolutely! Katy Magazine, absolutely! Memorial Magazine, American Cowboy
DEGREES, CERTIFICATIONS, SPECIALIZED TRAINING
• Pursuing a master’s degree in digital media at Sam Houston State University
• Go Coogs! University of Houston, Bachelor of Arts in English, psychology minor
• Associates degree, Business, Blinn College
• Paralegal Certification
• Medical and legal terminology coursework
• Prior teaching certification in English, Language Arts, Reading, Special Education, Generalist and ESL
• Years of experience in editorial and content writing (magazine and publishing industry)
• Specialization in SEO and online copy
• News reporting
I refer my overflow work to other qualified editors who have demonstrated skills, are ethical, and who are discreet on social media.
- I care very much about my clients and am selective with referrals. The last thing I want is for you to be paired with the wrong writer or editor.
- If you need a solid, skillful editor, just ask — I’ll be glad to point you to at least three whom I believe meet a high standard.
If you are over your head with a writing project, consider hiring a writer or editor to help. That’s what we do . . . a good writer / editor’s job is to turn your manuscript into a masterpiece!
Let me know how I can help you. Contact email@example.com.